A page was turned. The wind changed.
Maybe it's all the
Stop your business. Work in the studio. Do what you think you can't.
God...is that you? Cause that seems nuts. Sell a business I built myself from nothing and make art? That seems....not right. Working hard for a business is something modern, educated women do. There are tons of people out there that make alot of "art" and I really don't want to be bunched in with those weirdos because, let's be honest, most of them are not that good.
Making art is something I have always kept up as a hobby, and based on my education, something I am willing to invest in. I remember the day I was accepted into the printmaking program in K-State. I had already been told that there were just 2 spots available...and one spot was already filled. There would be no art review of my work, no panel of professors to see if I had what it takes to be in such a selective group, just a very nerve-wracking conversation with my 60 year old (highly successful, cranky, but artistically genius) professor in his cramped office. We sat there, with his "university rules sucks" attitude and campus-banned cigarette hanging out the open window, in silence. He took a long drag on the cigarette, then he said, "You don't want to be an artist". I didn't know what to say so I just sat there. He continued "you make no money, often get no respect, and you really have no career to speak of." Oh boy. I knew he was a straight shooter because of how he ran his classes, but this was unexpected. He was my idol - and taught me everything I knew up to that point. I deeply respected his art and opinion. Sensing it was my turn to speak, I said the only thing that I knew was true. "Yes, I do. I do want to be an artist".
Well, the answer is still the same today, so I'm going for it! My studio is full again, my first series is already in progress, and it feels great. Better than great actually...it feels right. I will commit to my artwork and see where it takes me!
Footnote: I still love paper products, and have a relationship with Pear Tree Greetings that I will be keeping! They have amazing invitations and stationery, and I will be putting coupons on this blog every month or so so we can all save on great products. Also, I will still be making some of the stationery from the Blue Door, and it's already available on Etsy. :) http://www.etsy.com/shop/MailHappy
Here's the first Pear Tree Greetings coupon:
No comments:
Post a Comment