Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Easter: Two

I can remember fighting hunting for eggs with my sisters in the back yard in our matching dresses and crimped hair hoping we'd get the egg with the dollar bill in it. Ok, ok hoping to get the egg with the chocolate in it, who and I kidding. Easter is one of our biggest holidays as Christians, but almost all of the activities that we do are geared for kids. And adults who love sugar. (Side note - why won't the cadbury mini-chocolate egg makers just offer them year round? I'm sure my sister C and I could keep them in business. just saying.)

Anyway, since we are adults only at my casa, we decided to try a Christian seder meal this year. I looked at a bunch of helpful blog posts (here, and here) and came up with our own little dinner. The meal is based on the traditional Jewish passover meal  - which was to remember when God passed over the Jews during the plagues and their freedom from Egypt. The passover celebration would have occurred the last day of Jesus's life, so that means what we call "The Last Supper" was actually the passover seder that He had with his disciples. The meal consists of different foods that represent parts of the passover story, and some readings and verses.  It was very eye opening to think that just a few days before His death, He would have been remembering God's faithfulness to deliver His people and provide for them. Many times in the readings "freedom" was mentioned - how He freed the Jews from Egypt, how His death freed us from the bonds of sin. Such a cool way to see Easter in a new way.

And then we had chocolate pie :)


No comments: