The living room is almost finished; all it needs is a place to put your feet up... and that means a DIY project!
First you start with a craigslist table, and some materials:
And the clunky ol' table will go from this...
To this!
Here's the process through pictures:
The Paint and foam...
Next we measured the diamond tuft pattern, and made the buttons. I HATED this part...so my awesome hubby helped. :)
Now drill through the holes and wood. If you don't drill just right, the foam will tear, like ours did:
TIP: My studly husband came up with the idea of greasing the drill bit from this point on, and it was SOOO much better. Don't worry, the grease will be removed in a later step so it won't ruin your fabric.
I highly highly recommend this step - it helps the tufts to be extra puffy and the fabric will lay oh- so nicely. Cut out holes big enough for the buttons to sit inside the bottom of the foam, and bevel the top edge of the hole.
I really wanted the final look to be staple-free, so we took alot of time finishing the table edge.
All finished! I hope this post helps you if you decide to make a coffee table into an ottoman :)
Note: Many thanks to these two bloggers - my project has gone much smoother with the help of these posts:
http://www.fivedaysfiveways.com/2011/07/diy-tufted-ottoman.html
http://addicted2decorating.com/how-to-make-a-diamond-tufted-upholstered-headboard.html
2 comments:
I'm super impressed, guys! Way to go!
WOW! Simply amazing ... coming from a family of upholsters you are a pro!
Post a Comment