One of the perks of Whatahusbands job is we get to go to NASCAR and sit in one of the owners boxes. I've gotta tell ya - it's SO much fun. Way better than seeing it on TV. This year we got to go down to the garages and pits, and even sit at the starting line to watch the big start.
It was all going great, until I almost got kicked out of the party and un-invited to next years race....
So this is what happened. Last year, the driver came up to the box for a meet and greet before the race. He signed glossies, shook hands, and said hello to all the guests. When it was my turn, I shook his hand and said, "good luck today! What do you say to a driver for good luck? Break a leg? oh! Pop a tire!" Everyone in the room laughed, and it was a big hit with the driver too...until he popped a tire during the race. No joke. When it happened, the whole room said "Lindsay! you jinxed him!" Then, to make matters worse, the in-field TV crew interviewed the driver and he said on TV "I have never popped a tire. Ever. I can't believe this happened." Oops.
So this year I kept my mouth shut. When we arrived to the suite, the car sponsors were there in the box and they remembered who I was and said, "you're the pop a tire girl, aren't you?". Sheesh. And Whatahusband couldn't help telling people what happened last year. It really was funny when he told the story, and everyone laughed. Until the 31st lap when this year's driver popped his tire. The room went completely silent (again) and someone whispered "Lindsay." I could have died. One of the sponsors said to Russell, "you can come back next year, but don't bring your wife."
Oops I did it again.
7 years ago
1 comment:
Oh my goodness. Hadn't heard that story - that is a riot.
Hey Lindz....can you get the notice to show up in my email when you do a new post. I don't know how. And I don't want to miss a thing.
Post a Comment